You've had a cycling accident. What next?
19,000 cyclists are injured in UK reported road accidents annually. Many don’t claim compensation. What should you do if you have a cycling accident? Should you be wearing a helmet? How would you go about making a claim? Why claim at all?
It’s been recognised for centuries in Scots Law that if you’re injured and it was someone else’s fault, then the “wrong doer” should put you back in the position you would have been in had you not been injured. This applies to cyclists as much as anyone else.
What should you do if you have a cycling accident?
There are two main categories of accident:
1. Collision with a vehicle. If involved in this type of accident, you should:
- Report the incident to the police. Even if, for example, the driver accepts fault or your injury seems very minor.
- Get the drivers’ full name, address and insurance details.
- Obtain the contact details for any witnesses to the accident.
2. An accident caused by the road surface. In this scenario, you should:
- Report the incident to the person responsible for the road surface, i.e. usually a Local Authority.
- Take photographs of the defect which caused your accident.
- Obtain witness details.
In either scenario, seek prompt medical treatment of your injuries and advise the doctor/nurse of the circumstances of the accident.
Next: Consult a solicitor with a track record in dealing with cycling accidents. If you would like to make a claim, please contact us.
With you every step of the way.
What our clients say
- Patience, sympathy, support & understanding from Julie Harris in dealing with my injury claim. Genuine interest & human touch helped enormously in difficult times.
- Thank you Sean White for all your help with my injury claim. I would not hesitate in contacting the company again if I required legal assistance.
- I received excellent service from you and the lawyer was excellent with me. She was outstanding. Thanks for your service.
- I sincerely wish to thank you for all the effort and work on my behalf, especially your consideration, kindness and civility.
- Thank you for the speedy conclusion and excellent service. I would strongly recommend your services to others. Once again many thanks for the way you handled my claim.
- First class service from Caitlin Souter and I am glad that my trade union chose Allan McDougall Solicitors to represent my case. Many thanks.