You've had a cycling accident. What next?
19,000 cyclists are injured in UK reported road accidents annually. Many don’t claim compensation. What should you do if you have a cycling accident? Should you be wearing a helmet? How would you go about making a claim? Why claim at all?
It’s been recognised for centuries in Scots Law that if you’re injured and it was someone else’s fault, then the “wrong doer” should put you back in the position you would have been in had you not been injured. This applies to cyclists as much as anyone else.
What should you do if you have a cycling accident?
There are two main categories of accident:
1. Collision with a vehicle. If involved in this type of accident, you should:
- Report the incident to the police. Even if, for example, the driver accepts fault or your injury seems very minor.
- Get the driver's full name, address and insurance details.
- Obtain the contact details for any witnesses to the accident.
2. An accident caused by the road surface. In this scenario, you should:
- Report the incident to the person responsible for the road surface, i.e. usually a Local Authority.
- Take photographs of the defect which caused your accident.
- Obtain witness details.
In either scenario, seek prompt medical treatment of your injuries and advise the doctor/nurse of the circumstances of the accident.
Next: Consult a solicitor with a track record in dealing with cycling accidents. If you would like to make a claim, please contact us.
With you every step of the way.
What our clients say
- Thank you to David Harris for all your hard work and effort during my recent claim. I appreciate the understanding and support shown by yourself and your staff to me and my family.
- I have received my damages cheque and would like to thank Julie Harris and Sean White for all your help and support at a very difficult time in my life. It is very much appreciated.
- I cannot fault any aspect of the service I received from Gordon Milligan. My settlement was way more than I could have dared to imagine.
- Many thanks to Miss Souter for her time and advice.
- Great and friendly service from Caitlin Souter.
Don't know how I would have got on without you. Thank you very much.