How to make a personal injury compensation claim
So you've slipped on a wet floor. Or caught your hand in a machine at work. The question is: are you to blame?
All too often we shrug off personal injuries as "just bad luck" and bear the cost of hospital treatment, loss of wages and other consequences ourselves. But why should you have to do this, if you're not responsible?
Can you make a claim?
Before we can answer that, there are a few questions we'll need to know the answers to:
- Could you have avoided the injury?
- Whose fault was it? (Employer, local authority, hospital, retailer, etc.)
- Has your injury affected your ability to work or enjoy life?
- Have you had to pay for medical treatments and other expenses because of your injury?
You may also be able to make a claim for a workplace injury if:
- You were made redundant after your accident
- You are self-employed
- You were injured at a different workplace
- You're claiming on behalf of someone else
- The accident happened over three years ago
- Your employer is no longer in business
These include illnesses caused by long-term exposure to harmful substances, activities, noise or working environments: asbestos-related diseases, respiratory illnesses, upper-limb disorders, deafness, etc.
Clinical negligence claims
Negligence of this type comprises acts of "avoidable harm" caused by a healthcare professional. Claims may concern:
- Anaesthetic awareness
- Anaesthetic nerve and spinal cord injuries
- Dental negligence
- Pressure sores
- A&E compensation claims
- Birth injuries
- Care home claims
- GP negligence
- Cosmetic surgery claims
- Hospital negligence
- Medication errors
With you every step of the way.
What our clients say
- I wish to thank Julie Harris and Lucy Burns for the way in which they dealt with my injury case. Your services was in all aspects excellent.
- Great and friendly service from Caitlin Souter.
Don't know how I would have got on without you. Thank you very much.
- From start to finish of my case I was made to feel at ease and treated with the greatest of respect by Gordon Milligan. I am delighted with the outcome and would have no hesitation in consulting you again.
- I would like to thank David Harris so much for his help with my case. Never having claimed for anything before and never having used a lawyer before I didn't know what to expect, I was delighted by how you handled the case, and by how well you kept me informed. Many thanks.