How to make a personal injury compensation claim
So you've slipped on a wet floor. Or caught your hand in a machine at work. The question is: are you to blame?
All too often we shrug off personal injuries as "just bad luck" and bear the cost of hospital treatment, loss of wages and other consequences ourselves. But why should you have to do this, if you're not responsible?
Can you make a claim?
Before we can answer that, there are a few questions we'll need to know the answers to:
- Could you have avoided the injury?
- Whose fault was it? (Employer, local authority, hospital, retailer, etc.)
- Has your injury affected your ability to work or enjoy life?
- Have you had to pay for medical treatments and other expenses because of your injury?
You may also be able to make a claim for a workplace injury if:
- You were made redundant after your accident
- You are self-employed
- You were injured at a different workplace
- You're claiming on behalf of someone else
- The accident happened over three years ago
- Your employer is no longer in business
These include illnesses caused by long-term exposure to harmful substances, activities, noise or working environments: asbestos-related diseases, respiratory illnesses, upper-limb disorders, deafness, etc.
Clinical negligence claims
Negligence of this type comprises acts of "avoidable harm" caused by a healthcare professional. Claims may concern:
- Anaesthetic awareness
- Anaesthetic nerve and spinal cord injuries
- Dental negligence
- Pressure sores
- A&E compensation claims
- Birth injuries
- Care home claims
- GP negligence
- Cosmetic surgery claims
- Hospital negligence
- Medication errors
With you every step of the way.
What our clients say
- I would like to thank Gordon Milligan for making the whole process simple and easy to understand. I was kept informed at every stage of the claim and his guidance was invaluable in settling this claim.
- Thank you to David Harris for all your hard work and effort during my recent claim. I appreciate the understanding and support shown by yourself and your staff to me and my family.
- My solicitor-advocate was first class. Excellent! Thank you.
- I wish to thank Julie Harris and Lucy Burns for the way in which they dealt with my injury case. Your services was in all aspects excellent.
- Totally professional and knowledgeable staff who are a credit to your company. In pursuing my injury case, Julie Harris and Jackie Raitt took the extra time to explain everything in layman's terms.
- Jackie Raitt and Lucinda Burns have been brilliant and I thank you for all their efforts on my behalf.